Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Campton, New Hampshire

More photos of Campton and Campground

The thing about New England is every town looks like a postcard and every road is a scenic byway. Even a one-gas station town off a highway exit looks like a beautiful place to stay. It's hard to describe why they're so different from Southern towns of the same sort, where you don't want to linger too long. Exiting a highway in the middle of Florida or Georgia or even North Carolina can be an ugly and sometimes scary experience.



When I arrived in North Carolina I couldn't imagine a better place to be on the East coast. The number of distinct mountain ranges within a 1-2 hour drive could keep you hiking for years without repetition. Yet I think I'm more in love with the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Perhaps it's the beauty that surrounds the mountains, since I haven't really dug into the trails yet, but I will need to stay here awhile.

Campton Pond

Campton is a tiny town in the foothills of the White Mountains. The White Mountain National Forest is on the Eastern edge, and the campground in which I'm staying is located there. There are several smaller mountains and trails right in Campton, and the surrounding peaks are not more than 1-1.5 hours away.

Dam adjoining Campton Pond

No comments:

Post a Comment