Sunday, May 29, 2011

Colbert Ridge Trail & Deep Gap Trail

Miles: 10.12   Time: 5:49  Starting Elevation 2806ft   Elevation Gain: 3777ft

View all photos of Colbert Ridge Trail     View all photos of Deep Gap Trail

The past two and a half months of physical and emotional experiences on the trails of North Carolina coalesced today in the hike that will crown my time here before leaving for New Hampshire next weekend. The Colbert Ridge Trail begins a few miles North and a hundred feet lower than the trail head for the Mt. Mitchell Trail that starts at Black Mountain Campground, which I did a month ago. If you recall, the Mt. Mitchell Trail climbs 3600 ft to Mt. Mitchell, the highest point East of the Mississippi.

8:30am on the Colbert Ridge Trail -- I love the mountains in the morning!

The Colbert Ridge Trail is a 4 mile trail that ends at the Deep Gap Trail, also known as the Black Mountain Crest Trail, which is considered one of the most rugged trails in North Carolina and the East. The Colbert Ridge Trail climbs steadily from the beginning and steeply for much of it. So steeply, it felt a bit like interval training: climb for a quarter mile, and just when you're almost out of breath the trail levels enough for you to recover for 2-3 minutes before starting again.

Other side of the trail, a few hundred feet up

The first 2.5 miles was technically easy with only a few patches of roots, erosion and boulders, allowing for some very aerobic climbing but then it turned into a obstacle course where very careful footing was required. It continued this way to the top, and was good practice for the Deep Gap Trail to come. When I arrived in NC, such impediments would have driven me nuts; I wanted to climb uphill without a break in my heart rate, but now it was just fun.

Camping area at Deep Gap


The trail ends in a camping area and when I arrived around 9:30 the backpackers were just rolling out of their tents. I'm getting the impression that many hikers are pretty lazy. Most of my encounters with backpackers have been similar: day one, hike three hours, camp, return next day. It takes two days to hike six hours? What do they do with the remaining 12 hours (besides sleep)?

From Balsam Cone Peak on Deep Gap Trail (6596 ft)


I had intended to hike only the Colbert Ridge Trail today, and then some easy trails with Katie, but since it took only two hours to climb, was only 9:30, I went on. One of the backpackers showed me his map and said I could go East for 10 minutes or West for 30 minutes to see some views. West was Mt. Mitchell so that is where I went.

Looking West from Deep Gap Trail toward Mt. Mitchell
The backpacker said it took three hours to hike from Mt. Mitchell to Deep Gap, so if I hiked to Mt. Mitchell and back it would be about a 10-hour day on some of the most rugged trails in North Carolina and beyond.  The idea was alluring. The trails got tougher than Colbert Ridge, but because it was a crest trail, it climbed up and down the peaks instead of relentless ascension.

Looking East from Deep Gap Trail toward Winter Star (I think)
Deep Gap sits at about 5600 ft and climbing upward from it you pass through a Canadian ecosystem of evergreen forests: it smells like a Christmas tree lot, and it's amazing! The trail passes four 6000ft + peaks over about four miles or so and I made it through two of them before I decided to turn around (Balsam Cone and Cattail Peak).

Looking North or South from Deep Gap Trail (I don't remember which)
I was tired. My legs were tired. And climbing downhill is hard enough without adding shaky muscles to the mix. I considered hiking to Mt. Mitchell and catching a cab back to my truck, but I don't think I can get cell service there. Also, it felt like cheating. Even though the distance would not be any shorter than my planned hike for the day, there is something rewarding about arriving at your car on foot.

Tired! Time to go home.
I expected the return to be a slow, agonizing nightmare of twisted ankles, butt slides and tumbling. I wasn't completely wrong -- my ankles weren't too happy, I fell on my ass a few times and slid down some rocks, but nothing that caused lasting pain or even verbal assault. My stabilizer muscles were finally adapting.

Katie enjoying the water


The Carolina Hemlock Recreation Area is nearby and I was sure I could find a short trail or two for Katie, though all I wanted to do is lay down in the bed of my truck and sleep. The area is composed of a large campground, a short trail, and a river runs through it (yes, that was on purpose). The South Toe River is lined with large boulders for sunbathing or jumping, and a couple sparsely sanded areas, mimicking a beach. It was perfect -- I relaxed on a rock in the sun while Katie splashed in the water.

2 comments:

  1. Great Report, thanks for taking the time to post. Question, was there a water source at the Deep Gap Campsite? I am heading up there in April.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once time I put it in a butt. Not just abit, all the way deep in the butt.

    it did not just abut the butt, it penetrote the butt. It was a butt bet, you bet.

    -Ibod Catooga

    ReplyDelete