Saturday, May 12, 2012

Mt. Jackson & Mt. Webster

Since returning to New Hampshire this is my first real hike, one long enough and steep enough where I couldn't bring my dog. Last weekend I hiked Mt. Willard in the Crawford Notch, which was a short (3 miles), but fairly steep climb to a beautiful overlook of the notch. But today I am once again a free woman without commitments or obligations, free to roam any mountain I choose, for however long I like, so I chose two.

Windy on Mt. Jackson (4,052 feet) !!


Mount Jackson and Mount Webster are both part of the Presidential Range of the White Mountains and lie to the Southwest of Mount Washington, the highest peak in the New Hampshire. You can bag both peaks in a moderate climb via the Webster-Jackson Trail (6.5 miles, 2500 ft).

From Mt. Jackson
The trailhead is also in Crawford Notch; in fact it's across the street from the trailhead for Mt. Willard which I hiked last weekend. It's about a three mile climb up to each peak, which a half mile or so connecting trail at the top, which is part of the Appalachian Trail.

From Mt. Webster (3911ft)

The climb is fairly easy to the top where it becomes steep and some scrambling is required to reach the top of Mt. Jackson. Due to the amount of rain we've had in the past two weeks, the trails were quite muddy and slippery, but I only fell once and luckily it was on a rock and not a mud bath.

View of Mt. Washington From Mt. Webster

No comments:

Post a Comment