Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Squam Lake Bike Ride

Distance: ~40 miles   Time: 4 hours

New Hampshire has it all: the tallest and most rugged mountains in the Northeast, a beautiful lakes region and the seacoast. I'm here for the mountains but I love the water as well and miss the subtle nature of a lake. Florida lakes are sparse, brown and populated with gators; naturally the attraction there is the long, long coastline. 



Just South of Campton lies the four lakes that compose the mid-state Lakes Region. I don't swim, boat, paddle or otherwise participate in water activities but I have been anxious to ride a bike since I left Florida. Paved and dirt bike paths pervade the network of area mountain trails but I enjoy road biking, and the State of New Hampshire was kind enough to draft a series of bicycle routes throughout the Lakes Region.



Squam Lake is the closest, and a ride around it can be had for about 40 miles. I was tired and my legs were heavy from 7.5 hours of hiking the previous day but the ride was considered fairly easy for the area so I went ahead anyway.



As you might expect so close to the mountains, hills abounded and my quads fought every one. I knew I would be dead when I stopped but it was a beautiful ride and I enjoyed every torturous turn of the pedal.

No comments:

Post a Comment