Sunday, March 11, 2012

Valley of the Fires

I knew it was going to be cold on Saturday and there was a chance of thunderstorms so instead of hiking I did a little sightseeing. About an hour North of Alamogordo, in a town called Carrizozo, are fields of lava.

Valley of the Fires Recreation Area
Over 45 miles and 165 feet thick, the lava originated from several nearby volcanoes and now resembles black rock overgrown with cactus and bushes. In Carrizozo is a recreation area where you can walk through the fields, but it was even colder and winder there and I wasn't about to get out of my car.

Mountains in the distance - these have snow, only an hour North of Alamogordo
The best views of the lava are not from the park, but from the side of the road a bit farther down. Unfortunately my camera died before I got there.

Heap o' lava
Later in the day, after I was back in the toasty camper, it snowed. Big wet flakes that didn't stick to the ground, but snow nonetheless. When I arrived here last Sunday it was as good as it gets - sunny, 80, dry. Tuesday a storm came through blowing sustained winds of 20mph, gusts much higher. So high in fact on Thursday the wind blew my camper about 15 feet into a barrier behind me. Now it is Sunday morning and the sun is just coming up. It's 30 degrees but it's supposed to reach 70 today. What a crazy place.

No comments:

Post a Comment